Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Roasting in Leipzig

This morning I slept in until 8:00. The heat yesterday really wiped everyone out. Then it was off to the Mendelssohn Haus which is one of my favorite places. Of course, I ended up buying a bunch of stuff. Then we went back to the hotel to cool off for awhile. 

From here we took a walk around town and headed to the Thomaskirche. We spent a good deal of time here and even though I have been here many times before, it has the same effect as Wittenberg in that you can't help but stand in awe and it is nearly impossible to wrap your brain around it. Since I have been here before I did not take nearly as many pictures as the other times but I will share with  you a few I did take. Excuse the way I look, but it was so hot I was pretty much melting!





After this we returned to the hotel to cool off. It was well over 90 which is very unusual for Germany and the heat was exhausting. I felt like I was in Chicago rather than Leipzig. After 30 minutes of relaxing the next stop was the Nikolaikirche where Bach also worked. Granted this one is not nearly as interesting, but fun to visit anyway.  

After another short break from the heat (Thank God I our hotel had air conditioning! Not all of them do of course...) we went to meet Chris and Elizabeth and had a nice visit with them. They even let me hold their baby and I enjoyed talking with their older sonThomas. Then we all attended an organ concert together in the Thomaskirche. Oliver Latry Was the recitalist. Ross and I had quite a conversation about this concert afterwards. 

It was fun to be here during the Bachfest and especially wonderful since it is the celebration of the Thomaskirche being 800 years old.  Yes, you read that right. 800 years old. 

Once the concert was done we met the choir for an excellent dinner at a famous restaurant and I must say at this point in the trip I have gotten to know the people better and rather enjoy visiting with them. While traveling with a group does have some drawbacks overall I would say it has been a fine trip so far. 

After dinner Ross and I took one final walk around Leipzig since we leave tomorrow. We stopped by to visit Felix on the way back to our hotel. 



All in all it was a good day spent in one of my favorite cities. I wish it was a little longer but I was grateful for the time we did have and I'm confident I will be back many times in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment