Monday, July 28, 2014

Hitting the Wall

Week two is always more challenging than week one. The fatigue sets in pretty hard. We've all been together non-stop for more than a week so patience runs thin. For me this year, there is the additional stress of trying to finalize prep for Europe since I will have a VERY quick turnaround between trips.

In solfege II today, our teacher heaped on an extra dose of insults and yelling because we were making so many mistakes. He said "Now you will all confess your sins one by one" and made us go around the room singing individually until we got it right. It was brutal, and several of us left feeling overwhelmed and deflated. No pain, no gain, I guess.

Tomorrow we have a test for one class, a huge project for another, and of course it goes without saying that Gábor gave us more homework than we could even realistically get through. I stayed in the practice room until nearly 11:30 and then returned to the dorms to work on written homework.

I'm so glad I'm here, but I also am pretty sure I will sleep the whole way to Europe, which actually would be a pretty good thing. I also know that at the end of the week, the sense of accomplishment at finishing level two will be well worth these tough and busy days. Fortunately, everyone in class understands because we're all in the same boat together. This makes a huge difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment